Saturday, February 13, 2016

7QT: New Year Discoveries

I've heard so much good music in just the past day that I couldn't boil it down to one song for the week. So I'm upgrading to a "7 Quick Takes" this week to showcase the awesome bands and albums that I've come across since the start of the year. A good chuck of this list are 2016 releases, but a few are simply albums from the past year that have flown under my radar.


1. Audrey Assad - Inheritance [12 February 2016]

It is with great joy that I announce today's (Friday's) official release of the fruit of Audrey Assad's hymns project, Inheritance! Since I helped support her through PledgeMusic way back when, I was able to get an advance download of the songs two weeks ago. Because she is covering various hymns for different types of worship the album is not as thematic as her other independent releases, but that does not take any bit away from the beauty of the songs and the reverence with which they were approached.

"Even Unto Death" by Audrey Assad




2. Hinds - Leave Me Alone [8 January 2016]

I was scrolling through new releases one Friday and was drawn to the album art of four young women who seemed to be beckoning in the language of each of the temperments with the ironic title lazily scrawled at the top, Leave Me Alone. Well, that's sorta what I want to tell Hinds (formally Deer), a lo-fi quartet from Spain, because they have me replaying their debut again and again! I can't get enough of the catchy riffs, bright guitars and strained-sweet lyrics that make it feel like summer in my ears while I live out winter outside.

"Castigades en el Granero" by Hinds


3. Basement - Promise Everything [29 January 2016]

Unlike the last record, the album art for Promise Everything by Basement actually drew me away from giving it a listen. But when I saw it again under those suggested by Spotify I took the app on it's word, and I'm glad I did. It's refreshing to hear sounds from the apex of alternative rock (early 00's) executed so well in this day and age.

"Promise Everything" by Basement


4. Baroness - Purple [18 December 2015]

After experimenting with blackgaze a la Liturgy and Deafheaven I saw that metal and its subgenres are worth a gradual and serious journey into. So I was pleased to stumble upon sludge and progressive metal veterans Baroness and their superb fourth album, Purple. The whole time I was listening to it I felt like I was in a battlefield with no way of knowing what the outcome would be but realizing that the test of strength was seen not in success but in perseverance.

"Shock Me" by Baroness


5. Crater - ??? [???]

Thursday's single featured on the KEXP Song of the Day podcast caught me in such a rapture that I needed to know more about the industrial pop band named Crater. To my dismay the band has not released anything but singles up to this point, but to my excitement I heard they may be dropping something at the end of the month! Never one to be comfortable at a musical dead end, I started listening to their Spotify radio station and have been happily stuck in an indietronica rabbit hole for the past 24 hours.

"Habits Die Slow" by Crater


6. Empress Of - Me [11 September 2015]

I encountered Empress Of and the #7 artist while listening to the Crater radio station and felt like I'm catching the crest of the new wave of electronic music that's about to crash on the mainstream. There's nothing strictly novel about the sounds or words in the debut Me (the music is reminiscent of 90's eurodance and the lyrics carry motifs familiar to R&B), but the deliberate choice and apparent mastery of layering heavy trip hop beats over croony indie songwriting make Empress Of an artist to watch out for.

"Water Water" by Empress Of


7. Porches - Pool [5 February 2016]

Lastly, we arrive at Porches and the recent release of Pool. Basically, just imagine a trap pop version of Empress Of.

"Shape" by Porches


Just like kids who go to college,
Kelvin

P.S. - Given that it's Valentine's weekend, it'd be reasonable to note that in 2011 I wrote a short blog post showcasing my favorite song for the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment