Thursday, March 31, 2011

He loves us. Period.

A lot of things have happened in my life in the past few weeks that have put me in a "Christian" mood, so to speak. This includes my music listening behavior. About two months ago, I went to a friend's apartment for an hour of praise & worship. It was just him and his acoustic; half the songs he sang were those that we've heard dozens of times over (and never get old), and the other half were songs he knew we wouldn't know.

That was the first time I heard "How He Loves." It started out calm and peaceful. I couldn't sing along, so I just listened. About three minutes in, he hit the second verse and began to crecendo. I was feeling it until he belted the line, "And Heaven meets Earth with a sloppy wet kiss." I've never heard something so suggestive in a Christian song! I was taken aback, and frankly I shyed away from the song because of that one line, forgetting all the other good ones.

Another time, another friend sang it, and I was waiting for him to make things awkward, but he sang instead "unforeseen kiss." At first, I thought I imagined the "sloppy," but then I realized it could have been some form of self-censoring. I approached the "unforeseen" friend and he said that he never heard it sung as "sloppy" and that he agreed it was weird. Then the concern was forwarded to my "sloppy" friend and this is what he had to say about it...

So recently, some people have been commenting on the way I tend to sing "How He Love Us." For the second verse, sometimes I'll switch back and forth between "unforeseen kiss" and "sloppy wet kiss." Sloppy wet kiss comes from the original song written by John Mark McMillan for his friend who died in a tragic car accident. It's about his friend being able to finally meet his father in heaven. I especially like to use "sloppy wet kiss" because when my siblings and I were little (and now my sister who is still little) my Dad would go in for a "sloppy wet kiss." To me it shows pure unabashed love in a playful, loving, fatherly way. Just wanted to share!

"How He Loves" by John Mark McMillan


This song was released in JMM's 2005 album The Song Inside the Sound of Breaking Down. When the single first came out, it didn't successfully chart. But recent reditions by different bands have helped skyrocket its popularity and make it a new staple of CCM radio. I though I'd share some...

"How He Loves (Live)" by John Mark McMillan

This is just to give a visual of the passion behind the original song.


"How He Loves" by David Crowder Band

This is version that most people are aware of (they use "unforeseen"). The David Crowder Band is enjoying a lot of radioplay because of this, but by cutting a lot of the instrumentals to make room for time it loses a lot of opportunity for contemplation that the original provides.


"How He Loves (Live)" by Kim Walker

This is just a powerful live version that's true to the original. The musicians are on point with every part of the song (see the drummer at 4:23), and it's amazing how Kim Walker is able to keep enough cool to direct the band the whole nine minutes. Her prayer at the end may throw some people off and bring others in... to each their own.


"How He Loves (Live)" by Flyleaf

An alternative cover of this was inevitable. I feel that although it is too short, it is adequately cathartic. Flyleaf recorded a HQ live version and released as a single last year, and I recommend listening to that. But to gain a respect for their approach (if you haven't already), you should see the bootleg live video below (talk about reckless abandon to Your Truth!).


There is a lot more covers out there, but this should be enough exposure to push you to seek them out yourself. And being the cover enthusiast that I am, I have to say that nothing can top the original (although my "sloppy" friend comes unbelievably close).

I don't have time to maintain these regrets,
Kelvin

1 comment:

  1. Awwww wow, I love this. I've watched these videos before you posted them and for the most part, I have found the original song speaking to me a lot more than the others. Mostly because you can feel his pain and his faith through the song.
    Adriana

    ReplyDelete