Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pepsi should have hired these guys

As I stated in my last post, I first heard The Replacements through Rock Band 2, which featured one of their songs. It was catchy and I probably played it 3 or 4 times before Christmas Break 2008 was over. A few months went by and I got into the habit of watching King of the Hill. After the upteenth episode, I was curious to find out who played that rockin' intro (curiously called "Yahoos and Triangles"). The credits at the end were flashing pretty fast, but I was able to make out the artist: The Refreshments.

I thought that The Refreshments was "that one band from Rock Band," so I decided to check them out because "now they had two cool songs." My search led me to the album Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy and I started listening to it from the beginning. A few seconds into "Blue Collar Suicide" I thought, "This sounds... different." Halfway into the song, I thought, "I don't think this is the same band." By the time "European Swallow" started, I had already determined the distinction online. Nonetheless, I continued listening, because I liked what I heard.


The Refreshments have their origins in Tempe, Arizona, and a listen to any of their songs would put any doubt to rest. In 1994-95, they were playing local shows and festivals, like SXSW, and caught the attention of Mercury Records with their demo. They released Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy in 1996 with the single "Banditos." After a US tour, they recorded The Bottle & Fresh Horses in 1997. Due to Mercury's gradual reluctance to promote the band, they left the label and soon afterwards disbanded due to artistic differences. After the break-up, vocalist Roger Clyne and drummer Paul Naffah went on to form Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers (whose acronym is very similar to that of Red Hot Chili Peppers'). This incarnation is still around, and isn't opposed to playing the occasional oldie.

Objectively speaking, The Refreshments seemed like one of those cookie-cutter post-grunge acts who wanted to be the next Nirvana. And after a few years of bands like Dishwalla ("Counting Blue Cars") and dada ("Dizz Knee Land"), the public got sick of it and moved on to the next big thing, which turned out to be dance-pop ("Come On Over Baby"). Even FFB&B is guilty of a few flaws; as you get towards the end, one or two songs start to sound like an earier one, as if the guitarist ran out of improvs for solos. However, I don't know if it's the Arizona edge or the lyricist fear of settling down, but something about the album is so indescribably real that it keeps my finger on the "Replay All" button.


Truth be told, FFB&B is the only Refreshments album I've heard, but I don't think I need anymore than that. It's definitely my feel-good 90's album, the one I turn to for letting loose and living carefree while do the dishes or lie on the couch. Everytime I listen to it, I have the image of four lazy 20-somethings with on-and-off girlfriends who live close enough to the Border and know just enough Spanish to get by at a Mexican cantina. Maybe their earlier stuff is rougher and maybe their RCPM stuff is more textured... I just don't want to take the chance. I want to live in the fantasy that 1996 was their best and only year.

Obviously, I'm going to recommend The Refreshments and Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy. You should listen to their whole CD (I've linked like half the songs already) so that you know where I'm coming from. And if you need more convincing, I've posted a music video below of the band having fun and a chimp trashing a guitar.

"Down Together" by The Refreshments


What's good for you is good for me,
Kelvin

No comments:

Post a Comment