Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Band Name #1

Today in my Finite Element Analysis lecture, the professor was using the "what's in a name" approach to teach us the meaning of "isotropic." He used his own name as an example: Nam-Ho. He said that in Chinese "Nam" stood for "south" (like Vietnam), and that "Ho" stood for "tiger." So when you put it together, you get Southern Tiger.

"Yes, my name is Southern Tiger." - Nam-Ho.

At that instant, I thought, "Awesome band name!" The sound that comes to mind is Asian punk mixed with Southern rock. Like second-generation Filipinos who grew up on Weezer, The Dawn and Molly Hatchet (breaking boundaries, I know). This is just what comes to mind, as any name is open-ended (see Teddybears). Either Southern Tiger or Nam-Ho seem like good options.


Coming up with band names is as much a hobby to me as listening to bands with interesting names. I might make the occasional mention of a band name I've just made up or have thought of for a while. I know that the Internet is public domain, but if any of you World Wide Webbers want to use something listed here, I wouldn't be opposed to being asked for permission and/or getting credit where credit is due.

Under the heat of the southwest sun,
Kelvin

No comments:

Post a Comment