Saturday, June 4, 2011

Band Name #2

OK, so for a change of pace, I'd like to share one of my favorite original band names: Last One Out.

The story behind the name is muti-faceted. One of those facets is the fact that whenever I'm volunteering at an academic or social event, more often than not I find myself expending way more energy and logging in way more time than I had expected. In most cases, I have no problem with it and I'm glad to help, but it's just interesting to note that I'm usually the "last one out."

Also, the name consists of three words, and the use of this type of title was a very common practice among pop-punk bands whose fame peaked in the early- and mid- 2000s: Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Gym Class Heroes, Jimmy Eat World, Taking Back Sunday, The All-American Rejects, and Motion City Soundtrack to name a few.

I discovered and adored bands of this class in my teen years, and so I'm well versed in their straightforward, emotional and simple approach to songwriting. Although I've grown past this brand of music, I can't deny that some of the songs I'd write (if I could write) would be "pop-punky." Plus, these bands like to condense their names into acronyms, and Last One Out makes a great one. I could just imagine fans talking amongst themselves after a show... "That LOO performance was so choice!"


All of the above are reasons why I like the name, but it doesn't explain how I came up with it. Last One Out was actually inspired by the popular webseries Red vs. Blue, which is based off of the Halo series of video games. The last episode of the first season (Episode 19) is titled "Last One Out, Hit the Lights." I really liked the title; it seemed like something you would say to a co-worker closing up the office on a Friday night. I thought its use for a season finale was witty. The 5-minute video is posted below, but if you're unfamiliar with machinimaHalo and/or RvB in general, you may be really lost.


Hit the Lights was already taken by another (pop-punk) band, leaving Last One Out up for grabs. And I think that with the totality of this blog entry I've secured the use of the name for myself. In any case, I just really really really want to close a show by saying, "We're Last One Out, and we're the last ones out!"

(Edit: So it turns out that there's this group of kids in Ontario who already have the name Last One Out... I just hope that the "coming up" of their name was as personal a journey as mine... =/)

"Do you ever wonder why we're here?"
Kelvin

No comments:

Post a Comment